Serves: 2 | Prep time: 25 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 3 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tsp Sweet Pickle Relish
- ½ tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Distilled White Vinegar
- 4 Burger Patties
- 2 tsp Vegetable Oil, divided
- 1 large Onion, finely chopped
- 2 soft Hamburger buns (suggested: Arnold brand)
- 8 Dill Pickles Chips
- 2 quarter-inch-thick slices Ripe Tomato
- 2 leaves fresh Iceburg Lettuce
- ¼ cup Yellow Mustard
- 4 slices deli-cut American Cheese
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a bowl and stir, refrigerate until ready to use
- Preheat oven or toaster to 400°F.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 tsp of oil over medium-high heat, add onion and ½ tsp of salt, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are well browned. Once onions begin to sizzle and appear dry, add 1 Tbsp of water to skillet and stir. Continue cooking until water evaporates and onions start to sizzle again. Repeat process, adding 1Tbsp of water at a time, until onions are meltingly soft and dark brown (about 3 times total). Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Place closed buns in preheated oven or toaster oven until slightly darkened and crisped. In a skillet, heat ½ tsp of oil over medium-high heat until simmering. Open the buns and place them face-down on the skillet. Toast them until dark brown around the edges. Transfer buns to plate
- Spread sauce on the bottom halves of the buns, then top with 4 pickle slices, 1 slice tomato, and 1 lettuce leaf, in that order (order makes a difference!)
- Wipe out skillet then heat remaining ½ tsp oil in skillet over medium-high heat until lightly smoking. Add 4 burger patties and cook without moving until well browned and crusty on bottom side. Spread 1 Tbsp mustard on raw side of each patty, then flip patties so mustard side is down. Continue to cook for 1 min. Top each patty with 1 slice of cheese. Divide the onion mixture between 2 patties and place the other 2 patties directly on top of onion-topped patties.
- Transfer burger stacks to prepared bottom buns. Close burger and enjoy!