Makes one reindeer
- 1 Feltman’s hot dog
- 1 Black olive or Red pepper
- Mayonnaise (preferably from a squeeze bottle)
- Set a pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil.
- For the antlers: Cut a hot dog in half lengthwise, stopping a little less than halfway down. Give the hot dog a quarter turn and cut again, creating 4 skinny hot dogs connected to the base.
- Using a paring knife, make one small notch in each antler, parallel to the main slice, no deeper than a half inch.
- Drop the hot dog in the boiling water. The sliced part of the hot dog will begin to curl into antlers. Remove after about 5 minutes and drain on a paper-towel lined plate.
- For Rudolph’s nose: Using the curved parts of the pepper, cut a round piece that resembles a nose. Using a paring knife, trim the back so it will lie flat. Touch up the shape as needed so it resembles a cartoon-ish nose.
- For the other Reindeer noses: Find the end of the olive with the little ‘x’ notch. (Not the end with the hole). Cutting at a bit of an angle, slice the end off, about a third of the way down.
- Place nose towards the bottom of the hot dog.
- Using a squeeze tube of mayonnaise, create two eyes.
- Take any remaining bits of olive and cut small circles, squares, or lines and place on to the mayonnaise to complete the eyes.
Prepared and cooked by Tara Cox: Executive Editor of Rachael Ray Magazine